Riding a bicycle can be potentially dangerous, given the inherent lack
of protection riders have compared to those in motor vehicles. However,
bicyclists who educate themselves on the rules of the road, maintain awareness
of their surroundings, and obey traffic laws can minimize their chances
of being involved in an accident and the severe injuries often sustained
in such incidents.
Here are some safety tips you should keep in mind to make your bike ride safer:
- Understand what your bike is capable of and avoid any maneuvers it cannot handle.
- Cyclists are required to follow the same rules as motorists on the road,
so take time to understand traffic laws and always obey them.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially when driving next to parked cars.
Watch out for opening car doors and other hazards.
- Always ride single-file and in the direction of traffic.
- Riding at night should be avoided, but if you must ride your bike at night,
make sure you wear reflective clothing.
- Equip your bike with reflectors on the rear, front, pedals, and spokes.
- It is also recommended that riders equip their bikes with a horn or bell,
a rear-view mirror, and a bright headlight.
- Before you enter into traffic, stop and look both ways, then left again
and over your shoulder.
- Do not hitch onto cars.
- When turning, exercise extra caution and use hand signals.
It is also crucial to wear the appropriate safety gear when riding a bike,
especially a helmet. Bicyclists who wear a helmet are able to effectively
reduce the risk of a head injury by about 60% and a brain injury by 58%.This
is because the first body part that typically flies forward in a collision
is the head. Without a helmet, you only have skin and bone to protect
the brain, which is not enough to prevent serious or fatal head and brain
injuries. Do some research before purchasing a helmet and ensure that
it meets federal safety standards and fits you properly.
Alexandria Personal Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one was injured in a bicycle accident caused by the negligence
of another party, you have the right to pursue fair and just compensation.
At The Barrera Law Firm, PLLC, our Virginia personal injury attorneys
have effectively guided thousands of injured individuals through the claims-filing
process and obtained countless successful results on their behalf. We
would be honored to do the same for you. We handle a wide range of cases,
including bicycle accidents, motorcycle accidents, auto accidents, workers’
compensation, and construction accidents.
Contact our office today at (571) 290-2390 to schedule a case evaluation
with a knowledgeable member of our team today! We provide complimentary